Stand Together!!! Join WOARN - Wisconsin Organizing 4 Autism Rights Now!

Subscribe to WisconsinOrganizing4AutismRightsNow
Powered by health.groups.yahoo.com

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Lobbying Results!

Yesterday I was thrilled by the turnout and so excited to get to talk to my Assembly person Rep. Mark Gottlieb and my senator, Glenn Grothman, both of whom I had spoken with on the phone previously regarding this issue.

Rep. Gottlieb was not in his office when I went in, but his very helpful staff member told me that he was two floors up in Caucus and so I went upstairs and the Sergeant-at-Arms told him that I was here to speak with him and he came out right away. At first he expressed reservations about the insurance mandate and cited what appears to me to be an insurance company lobbyist talking point about not wanting insurance premiums to increase because as I walked down the hall I heard numerous rep/sen talking to constituents citing this "concern."

When I told him that people are already paying high premiums and not getting the coverage that they so desperately need for what is essentially a physical condition that really should be covered he really seemed to grasp this and he told me that it was his belief that this proposal of the governor's would be placed back in the budget bill because of our turnout.

Senator Grothman really seemed intent on shifting the focus from autism treatment to figuring out what caused autism, and "if it is the pharmaceutical industry they should pay." I assured him that I was all for more money going into research, but that this is a separate issue that what we are pushing for today, which is treatment for the kids that are currently being impacted. Tamara Kasper, a provider who also lives in Cedarburg where I live was talking with him as well, and pointed out that although we know that smoking causes cancer, we still have insurance companies pay for treatment, which I thought was a really good point. He did say that he was going to support the legislation, and I tried to get him to sign on as a co-sponsor, but he really wasn't ready for that leap. I also pointed out to him the number of constituents that were there who would be very gratified to him for taking a position of support on this issue, and THAT really seemed to resonate with him. Believe me, we made an impact.

My big regret is that more media didn't cover this event, and in the future WOARN will really take charge in media related issues! With all of us families there, it would have been a wonderful photo-op, and I will really work for more coverage at future rallies and events!

No comments: